Who are You? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Main Forum » Human Behavior
AnnaCzereda
AnnaCzereda Nov 19 '13
One woman went through clinical death experience and she had a rather bizarre though memorable vision. She saw bright light and a voice asking her: "Who are you?" 

"I'm a mayor's wife." She replied.

"I'm not asking you whose wife you are. I'm asking - Who are you?"

"I'm the mother of three children."

"I'm not asking you how many children you have. I'm asking: Who are you?"

"I'm a teacher."

"I'm not asking about your job." The voice replied and asked once again: "Who are you?"

"I'm a Christian."

"I'm not asking you about your religion but who you are."

"I try to help other people..."

But the voice was not satisfied and kept asking "Who are you?"

So if you are not your religion, your job, your social position or your deeds, who the hell are you? Are you the stream of your thoughts and emotions? Are you your opinions or your life story? Thoughts and emotions come and go, opinions change.

Is it possible to know yourself? It is difficult to follow someone who is always changing. Once you think you got to know yourself, some new information appears, making the previous one inaccurate. And there you are, forever chasing that rabbit - your Self.

Can you look at yourself in an objective manner, go beyond your personal biases? Or perhaps, you think other people know you better than you know yourself? 

What do you think?

SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Nov 19 '13

I think if you can only describe yourself by your story, you don't exist.  Only your story exists. 

Axiom IV. Book of SIN:

Be not the Story

Every person has a story, identifying with the story makes YOU disappear. Ask yourself every day: WHO AM I? If you can only express who you are by your story, you do not exist. Only your story exists.

Interrogist
Interrogist Nov 19 '13
There is you.

There is the you you believe yourself to be.

There is the you others believe you to be.

You are actually elements of all three.
Interrogist
Interrogist Nov 19 '13
Now I only have one acquaintance who speaks of Sufi and uses the term (suchness).
AnnaCzereda
AnnaCzereda Nov 19 '13
That fake Interrogo is much better than the original one...

Sometimes when people get angry, display aggression or behave in a way they don't like, they say later: "It wasn't me. I wasn't myself."

But it's always you. Whether you are young or old, whether you behave in one way or another, you are still one and the same person. No matter how much you change, no matter what happens to you, you are still you.

voidritual
voidritual Nov 19 '13
I am my intent. Action is the agent. I am judged by my impact.
Dan_Dread
Dan_Dread Nov 19 '13
Who am I? Just some guy.

We are basically genetic predisposition meets real world experience. The latter isn't static, so neither are we.

It's a hard, maybe the hardest thing to face for some. People like security, right?

So we scramble to 'become' something we can bottle, something we can wrap our hands around and fit into a nice little box. We identify with things around us, and convince ourselves we are those things. Identity pins for everyone.

Yet, still none of these things are static, and the 'me' I believe I am can 'die' at the short notice of a belief about myself being shown to be incorrect by the ultimate mirror..the world at large.

Most realize this on some level I think, and begin to avoid those things that might challenge those beliefs about themselves. You see the absolute 'toughest' of the 'tough guys' with little to no fighting experience, the 'intellectual' that avoids peer review, the 'good person' that always finds a rationalization not to help someone. It goes on and on.

Who am I? I am the guy that thinks if the answer to this question can be defined as a static thing for all time, I'm also the guy that thinks you are a bit of a loser.

The Forum post is edited by Dan_Dread Nov 19 '13
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Nov 19 '13
Quote from Interrogist There is you.

There is the you you believe yourself to be.

There is the you others believe you to be.

You are actually elements of all three.

Sounds like one of those Scientology Commercials.  

SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Nov 19 '13
Ghostly1
Ghostly1 Nov 19 '13
I would like to think I am the weight of my thoughts and experiences.  

I am the winning sperm in a sea of swimmers.  

Despite all the obstacles faced before conception, my little swimmer won and here I sit.  My personality is the combination of a woman and a man.  The choices I have made and learned from guide me each day as I make more selections which may or may not have circumstances which cannot be foreseen.   

We are the cumulative consequences of reaction and abstinence.  Scars weigh more on us then the tissue which they are comprised.  It takes more than physical matter to make a person what they are.  

The totality of our life cannot be measured in certain terms, and that is something we have to admit.  We are our hopes and dreams and our successes, and as much as they carry us forward we are drawn back by failures and shortcomings we struggle to overcome when opportunity presents itself.  

In short we....are works in progress.   

timishardcore
timishardcore Nov 19 '13

I was asked this question by "Tarouk" aka "TDI" on YT a while back. My response was a video titled:

"How can you define what is constantly changing"

Now I realize that the word "constantly" is a bit of a hyperbole but I see myself changing more as I get older or maybe I forget a lot of what I thought before and have to rethink some crap..Either /or :)

CanisMachina
CanisMachina Nov 19 '13

I am...

"A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production, too weird to live, and too rare to die." 

But Hunter S. Thompson quotes only represent that all important persona I like to believe represents myself.

Truth is I am not so special. If anything I am adaptation and strategy - adjusting to and learning from whatever hitch or setback comes my way. Confronting any adversity that has my annihilation in its crosshairs. Seeing if my raft can survive through the whitewater.   

Really, if I believe the façade to be the 'real' representation, I am nothing but that replica watch.

thedeadidea
thedeadidea Nov 19 '13
Quote from timishardcore

I was asked this question by "Tarouk" aka "TDI" on YT a while back. My response was a video titled:

"How can you define what is constantly changing"

Now I realize that the word "constantly" is a bit of a hyperbole but I see myself changing more as I get older or maybe I forget a lot of what I thought before and have to rethink some crap..Either /or :)

Alright Tim... I'll Bite. 

As I see it Tim the very essence of the world can only be contained in non being. Something tantamount to the Tao or some other metaphysical homogenizing principle where you get A=A as observation/awareness of phenomenon. The categorical irony is that (maya) or the 'defiled' state exhibits passions, imputations and whatever else to create a 'deluded state.' Yet this assessment is none the less a true world theory . For it idealizes nature when what nature really is, is what it fucking does. 

So to overcome the metaphysical irony there is a necessity of the Satan's, Devils, tricksters and deceivers. Yet these things are implicit in us, the very essence of Satan as I have said is to affirm "The Mind as its own place." It is active in most of every motherfucker walking god's green earth except a few who are 'enlightened' to the point to categorically renounce the world. Which in essence is to perform a sufficient enough task to exhaust passions, desires and the rest to categorically align oneself in none being. 

Something by the way I couldn't give a fuck about, I think there is reason to climb mountains but not seek far off stars. Instincts need to be harness and controlled for many reasons including a proclivity to creativity and the many ecstasies of the flesh, suffering  and tradgedy can be meaningful. 

I know that would resonate with you Tim.... So I'm telling you to come to our side brother because, Blessed is he who hath tamed, refined and accepted the asura within for only then might he call himself truly human. 

From this basis the self categorically emerges, as a reference, an idea  a perspective and implicitly in one's nature. The self is a dynamic centre of gravity that points to things in different contexts and moments. When one is in their house they are in something closer to the centre of themselves then is another's home. The self as a reference Darryl more than adequately pointed out though to SIN's point is characteristically obtuse to grasp. The self as nature is all that affirms to belong to it, the ambition, the will, the action, self reflection. The self becomes a basis for many in conscious activity though there is a subtlety to realizing what is you beyond what you self identify as an internal narrative as you. 

Arcane though it is, some will get it others won't because some people just think like clods whilst others are capable of subtly and insight. Here we come to the vague accusatory generality that of course might refer to anyone. But in this a case you only need to ask yourself but one question to know whether I just insulted you or not.... 

"Who are you?"

The Forum post is edited by thedeadidea Nov 19 '13
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Nov 20 '13

As an aside, until Tim posted his comment I had no idea that you (Michael) were Tarouk from youtube.  We've bumped into each other a few years back.  I can honestly say that your expressions were compelling enough for me to pay attention to you, to correspond on that platform and it doesn't surprise me that we correspond here. 

"To know me, is to Know my Expressions..." -  Axiom VIII.  Book of SIN

JasinElric
JasinElric Nov 20 '13
This thread really reminds me of this scene:

http://youtu.be/M-GV46SUcWs

The Forum post is edited by JasinElric Nov 20 '13
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Nov 20 '13
Mr_Scare
Mr_Scare Nov 20 '13
Who am I?

I am who I am today, but not who I was yesterday, and not who I will be tomorrow.

Interrogist
Interrogist Nov 20 '13
That's pretty gay Ali.

Its like "I'm making extremely general statements" therefore "Scientology is valid?" ...

Ummm wut?
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Nov 20 '13
Quote from Interrogist That's pretty gay Ali.

Its like "I'm making extremely general statements" therefore "Scientology is valid?" ...

Ummm wut?

Who said Scientology was valid, I was speaking of the packaging... It actually sounds like Dianetics.
Interrogist
Interrogist Nov 20 '13
I was addressing the video, not you.

Stop being so sensitive! Gosh Ali, you are such a Scientologist sometimes!
Pages: 1 2 »

Issue Reporting

Report any issues to satanhimself@circleofdescent.com. He may, or may not, get back to you in a timely manner.