Fear of Death | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Main Forum » Philosophy
Interrogist
Interrogist Nov 23 '13
“Only those few who are able to surpass their fear of death completely can fully experience the highest forms of life; not the mundane life of the mortal, but the godly life of the resurrected.”

Zeena Schreck

Discuss.
AnnaCzereda
AnnaCzereda Nov 23 '13
I'm not afraid of my own death. I'm afraid of the death of my beloved ones and suffering, I mean grievous suffering, not some petty daily issues. It is not just fear of death, but fear in general that needs to be confronted and overcome, if you want to be truly free. Therefore it is important not to run away but travel in the direction of your own fears, because only this path leads to liberation.

"...the godly life of the resurrected." If they are resurrected, that means they went through their own death, symbolic death, which can be understood as a change in your personality. The old man must die so that the new man could be born.

Enomar
Enomar Dec 11 '13
I once had a thought, what if a death simulator could be developed and used, people could actually experience dying and lessen their fear of it. The problem with dying, is you only get one shot at it (resuscitation aside) so you can only hope that you'll face it well. The suffering can be horrible (I've seen it often enough at work) but who knows what we see as the brain shuts itself down for good especially if its true that DMT is secreted in large quantities. I don't fear the idea of death, its something we all have to do but the nightmare than can ensue in the process of dying is not something you can prepare for. So it's my opinion that people that say they don't fear death are kidding themselves because they don't know what it is, yet.
praxi
praxi Dec 11 '13

Quote from Enomar So it's my opinion that people that say they don't fear death are kidding themselves because they don't know what it is, yet.

Huh. It is nothing. You die, and then nothing. What is there not to know? :)

While the concept of "nothing" can be difficult to wrap the mind around, I honestly can say I don't fear it. What I do fear is "living" a life I'd look at now and not desire for myself--this is why you have advance directives; or, if that fails, besties who are not squeamish. I obviously don't like the idea of dying because I think living is awesome and there's so much I want to do still... but fear? Nope.
Mr_Scare
Mr_Scare Dec 12 '13
You can't fear a "nothing". I DO NOT fear death, as it is out of my control. I do however fear dying horribly over a long period of time. To spend the rest of my days hooked upto a machine, on medication terrifies me and my sense of ndependence.

Living is far scarier than death.
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 12 '13
Quote from Interrogist “Only those few who are able to surpass their fear of death completely can fully experience the highest forms of life; not the mundane life of the mortal, but the godly life of the resurrected.”

Meh, it would have read proper if it said:

"Only those few that are able to surpass death, have lived the highest form of life.  The life of a god." -SIN-ified.

The current statement assumes:

* Your former self dies to be resurrected as something Divine.

All life's experiences are part of being Divine.  In order to push the limits of your own fears to exceed them, you muse with Death.  It's an on-going dialogue.  

I don't think anyone goes out there to find Death specifically, some of these experiences are unexpected.  Once you've faced Death over and over again, you understand its language.

* When a person lives by the claw, fear as an obstacle is not an option.  Again, there's no need to resurrect because you're already actively engaging in the tango with Death.

Perhaps, based in her own life experience she had to force past her fears in order manifest the Divine.  People speculate much about her life, I still say the pregnancy and everything that followed after it is rather fishy.  Seems to me, she had to cut ties  from everything she knew in her youth to liberate herself and become what she wanted to be.

Dan_Dread
Dan_Dread Dec 12 '13
Quote from Interrogist “Only those few who are able to surpass their fear of death completely can fully experience the highest forms of life; not the mundane life of the mortal, but the godly life of the resurrected.”

Zeena Schreck

Discuss.

I think...this is one of those things that sounds really nice but is pretty meaningless. Nobody can claim to have surpassed the fear of death until they have faced every possible unique circumstance that may make their end. Highly unlikely old Zenna has done that. Fear is a primal human emotion that barring heavy sedation, will continue to surface throughout your life. It's what you do with it that matters.

And..the godly life of the resurrected? Oh please..

UserX
UserX Dec 12 '13
I would agree with Dan, the statement is meaningless platitude.

So Zenna says that (a) if a person is has surpassed fear of death, then (b) such person experiences the fullest form of life and is godly resurrected.

Hindus believe in reincarnation/rebirth. Therefore they have no need to fear death. Thus we should see 1 billion Indians in India experiencing the "highest" form of life beyond the mundanity we mortals know, in a godly resurrected way:

Perhaps "experiencing the highest form of life" has more to do with human living standards of one's country.
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 12 '13
Cygni
Cygni Dec 12 '13
"Death is the road to awe." [The Fountain]
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 13 '13
Nith
Nith Dec 14 '13

I agree with the statement being a blusterous platitude at best. I have been in many situations where my life was in danger and not once was I free of at least some base fear. It was in fact that fear that gave me the focus and energy to survive. I would say covering fear is one thing but to not actually feel anything at all would devalue life and lead to detachment.

I see the statement in no better terms then the brand “No Fear” people used to wear. I actually enjoyed scaring the hell out of those people who had that logo as a hat, shirt or bumper sticker. Then I would yell “False advertising” at that person.

timishardcore
timishardcore Dec 14 '13

I wonder where she got that idea from?

might be this.

"So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory."

might not be :)

SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 14 '13
Dan_Dread
Dan_Dread Dec 14 '13
Wow. 10 seconds in and all I can see is her terrible face lift...

SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 14 '13
I added it for the mannerisms and tells.  Is this the kind of woman that dialogues with death and has been resurrected a god?  

I dunno about the facelift, maybe just age and a change of hair color?

The Forum post is edited by SIN_JONES Dec 14 '13
Cygni
Cygni Dec 14 '13
Sad how conversations of promising depth turn to nothing but appearances.

Perhaps one can not only overcome a fear of death but go beyond fear and look forward to death. Not trivialize life but also not underestimate the beauty of what lies beyond.
The Forum post is edited by Cygni Dec 14 '13
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 15 '13
Quote from Cygni Sad how conversations of promising depth turn to nothing but appearances.

It is a layer within that depth.  If you're ignoring the path of 'celebrity' as a way of attacking the 'beyond', your perception is rather shallow.

Dan_Dread
Dan_Dread Dec 15 '13
Quote from CygniPerhaps one can not only overcome a fear of death but go beyond fear and look forward to death. Not trivialize life but also not underestimate the beauty of what lies beyond.

Ya, praise jesus!

The Forum post is edited by Dan_Dread Dec 15 '13
Hatepeach
Hatepeach Dec 15 '13
No!  No the fuck it is not.  Both you and Dan ignored this, whatever it is:

Quote from SIN_JONES the path of 'celebrity' as a way of attacking the 'beyond'

And spoke on absolutely *nothing* but her appearance until someone else mentioned that a promising conversation was drawn into the shallows.  This isn't a case of someone saying something "nice but meaningless," as Dan asserts.  Both Tim and Jack, respectively, have made substantive contributions and while both Dan and Sin chose to take the high well-trodden road of answering a woman's statement with an observation about her appearance or sex appeal.  As for Zeena LaVey, even a broken clock is right twice a day.  

Quote from Enomar I once had a thought, what if a death simulator could be developed and used, people could actually experience dying and lessen their fear of it.

This is it...this is officially the most asinine thing I've ever read here, on SIN, or at the 600 Club.  I know that other contenders will be suggested, but no, this is it for me.  You can't built a simulator that substitutes the conscious experience of death, because there is no conscious experience of death.  What people consciously experience is the anxiety that they have wasted their entire life, that they are a fraud, that they missed everything, that they will never have another chance. You could build a machine that tortures people to the point of nervous collapse, and I'm sure that somebody, somewhere, has one they would let you use.  The problem is, that has nothing to do with the fear of death itself.  You can't simulate what death actually represents, or rather you can simulate it, but it definitely doesn't take a machine.  

Quote from Interrogist “Only those few who are able to surpass their fear of death completely can fully experience the highest forms of life; not the mundane life of the mortal, but the godly life of the resurrected.” ― Zeena Schreck
An elegant thing said in a stupid way/\/\/\
Quote from jack_macleod Oblivion does not inspire fear in those without remorse.
A smart thing said in an elegant way/\/\/\/\
Quote from Dan_Dread Nobody can claim to have surpassed the fear of death until they have faced every possible unique circumstance that may make their end.
A stupid thing said in a smart way/\/\/\

The Forum post is edited by Hatepeach Dec 15 '13
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »

Issue Reporting

Report any issues to satanhimself@circleofdescent.com. He may, or may not, get back to you in a timely manner.