Women And Video Gaming | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Main Forum » Media
FemaleSatan
FemaleSatan Dec 2 '13
There was a recent video gaming survey done by IBIS World shows that the gender divide for video games is around 50/50.

The Forum post is edited by FemaleSatan Dec 2 '13
Hatepeach
Hatepeach Dec 3 '13

I believe this woman is sexually titillated by the negative attention she receives from other gamers.  That's what my gut is telling me, even though her demeanor suggests confused indignation.  She knows damn well that half of what she's saying is bullshit and hopes desperately that most of her audience simply doesn't know any better.  Never mind that video games are made "by men for men" for the same reason that high quality fibercraft supplies are typically made "by women for women."  Get real, bitch.  I have to wonder about any woman that can't handle "bullying" from strange men through a text-based platform.  Maybe she should report to the proper authorities and have her woman license reviewed.

There are a lot of things going on here, and I'm annoyed by this woman's very surface, "oh-look-at-me" attitude about them.  Number one:  video games simulate hyper-stressful and/or combat situations.  A certain tenor of dialogue has always been attached to these situations, and it enhances the overall ambiance of certain games to preserve it.  I know this because I'm a perfectly sensitive young lady myself and I know how I start to talk when I'm absorbed in these kinds of simulated scenarios.  The admixture of vile sexual imagery with ultra-violence in this context is normal, and its purpose is to (for the moment) deny and negate the softness and vulnerability of sexuality rather than to fixate on them.  I'm talking about anal rape, but I'm thinking about blowing up the enemy, and that's just how it works. 

On the design end, there's a large factor that these two videos just gloss over, namely that while large and increasing numbers of both men and women play video games, they are playing very different kinds of games, with the "girly?" puzzlers, I-phone, and Facebook games as "casual."  I think I know what makes them "casual," but I think some people get pretty serious about them and I know things like Tetris and Bejeweled can get pretty spicy.  But I digress....  

Men and women (on a general basis) cope with very different kinds of stress.  Video games are both an antidote to normal stress and a source of exhilaration and eustress.  Many very popular titles provide this through bombardment and over-stimulation, something men are more inclined to enjoy escaping into and women more inclined to escape from.  

***File under fucking "DUH!***

Women are less attracted to many popular video game franchises because we intuitively understand what a variable ratio reinforcement system is, and aren't about to be suckered by one.  Yes, that's a sex joke.  

Credentials:  I'm a woman, I play Fallout and Eve.  

The Forum post is edited by Hatepeach Dec 3 '13
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 3 '13

So whut, people are trippin' over Satan online? 

Calling for the 'Industry' to correct this problem, is essentially demanding that an over-seer (God) moralize human interaction.

Gaming is just another medium.

XiaoGui17
XiaoGui17 Dec 3 '13
Quote from Hatepeach I have to wonder about any woman that can't handle "bullying" from strange men through a text-based platform.

^^This.  FFS, people are assheads over the anonymity of the internet, period.  It isn't sexism or racism or homophobia or whatever the fuck.  It's like Tyler Durden said: "
All right, if the applicant is young, tell him he's too young. Old, too old. Fat, too fat."  Same thing.  Internet trolls attack whatever low-hanging obvious fruit they can reach.  It's got nothing to do with your cause, your demographics, etc.

Howling about "death threats" from internet trolls?  Doesn't that only reinforce the stereotype of the damsel in distress?

XiaoGui17
XiaoGui17 Dec 3 '13
Quote from Hatepeach Women are less attracted to many popular video game franchises because we intuitively understand what a variable ratio reinforcement system is, and aren't about to be suckered by one.

I shot Sprite out of my nose.  But it's sort of true, isn't it?
Ghostly1
Ghostly1 Dec 3 '13

This was my first Female heroine when growing up.  I still love Metroid, and its sequels.  

I have not partaken of the combat online games as I do not have the time, or the console to play them.  I attribute the threats and language to the culture specified and the fact they probably got their ass handed to them by a girl and egos were butthurt.  I doubt the problem will ever go away completely.  I will play my 3DSXL in private and while in waiting rooms and car rides.  Princess Zelda needs to be saved.  

SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 4 '13
Personally, I don't play video games.  My son does though, he plays within a closed circle of friends/family because he was tired of homos and pedos propositioning him for sex.  He can handle the shit talk and death threats, he drew his line in the sand with 50+ old men calling him "Sweetie".
FemaleSatan
FemaleSatan Dec 4 '13
I find this to be a simple problem to solve. If you don't like the environment on gaming forums, don't post there.

I have played several different video games and I almost never start participating in the forum/chat aspect of it. I like my video game experience to be solitary.

I took the time to watch the series of videos she put up on Youtube about video games. She goes over tropes commonly used in video games and whines about how un-Feminist they are. You can find the video series here if interested. There were some good points made, but she never really gets into when these tropes are bucked and bucked well.

Samus is an example of those trends being bucked. Lara Croft is an example of those trends being bucked. The female version of Shepherd in the Mass Effect games is an example of those trends being bucked.

I have quite a bit to say about Commander Shepherd. I love her, love her. Yeah, you can play as a guy instead but this is what makes Commander Shepherd kick ass. She gets almost the same exact dialogue as the male version of Shepherd. She's praised for her intelligence, her abilities as a soldier, etc. I found that soooo motherfucking refreshing.

And that dumb cunt trashes her for being a Ms. Male Character. Is she? Well yeah, they are giving you an option to be female. She's no 'Ms. Pacman or something though. She is a feminist character and she passes The Bechdel Test. :)

Using the whole trope argument the way she does is incredibly short sighted. Video games, just like any other medium have a formula to follow. What she's doing is the same as going on a rant about how Rom Coms always have romance in them. WTF?

Quote from Hatepeach On the design end, there's a large factor that these two videos just gloss over, namely that while large and increasing numbers of both men and women play video games, they are playing very different kinds of games, with the "girly?" puzzlers, I-phone, and Facebook games as "casual." I think I know what makes them "casual," but I think some people get pretty serious about them and I know things like Tetris and Bejeweled can get pretty spicy. But I digress....

Ah casual games. I find that term almost offensive. It's like the meme Fake Geek Girl   . It's a way to diminish women liking something that is considered 'male.'

Shit, Tetris and shit were classics. What's wrong with playing games that are puzzle oriented.

I got irritated by some of what the second video said. And it's this: The SIMS is not and has never been a casual game. It's a sandbox game and seriously, there's a big motherfucking difference. I play the SIMS and I play because it has a fuckload of options and no linear play getting in my way of doing what I want.

People spend hours and hours playing the game and the gameplay is incredibly intricate, it's not casual. There wouldn't be millions of items of custom content available, mods, machinima, blogs dedicated to posting the stories told with the game, etc if it was a casual game. It's way more  immersive than most games I have played.

One thing I have noticed being in The Sims community a bit is the difference in the forums. People do things on SIMS forums like post pictures on forums of their in game children and people coo over them.

It's also more cooperative. You see people helping each other out on various projects, etc. There is very little cussing, calling people morons, etc on those forums. People are well nice. The exception to all of that is MATY.

Anyway, I mostly posted this because I was curious at how other people view the gaming industry and its appeal to women and general treatment of them.

The Forum post is edited by FemaleSatan Dec 4 '13
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 4 '13

I think the industry is  adaptive.  The 'build a character' aspect allows players to be whatever.  A lot of these games have gender neutral character types.

I remember when Wii first came out, my son wanted me to play a game with him to get a feel for the controller.  The first thing we did was make our characters.  I was a Black Man.  His reaction was typical:  I'm a girl so why wouldn't my character be a girl?  After a bit of dialogue about it, he decided to change his character gender back and forth to see if it made a difference in how he played the game.  It didn't.   He does favor Male characters for obvious reasons.  Especially in the First-person shooter and adventure games.  He wants to be the quintessential warrior on a quest to get stuff while fucking shit up.

Hatepeach
Hatepeach Dec 11 '13
I had never heard of the "Bechdel Test" before it came up in this thread, and I have to say, I find it a horrid attempt by other women to marginalize and shame me for the sake of my deviation from proscribed gender roles.  I literally had one of those moments when I asked myself if this was serious or maybe some kind of poorly executed satire.

So the test has three criteria, right?  1) There have to be two female characters with speaking roles, like every story worth telling has two female characters with speaking roles or something.  2) They have to talk to one another.  Jesus.  3) They have to talk about something other than "a man."  So the conversations they have about men are automatically trivialized for no given reason.   
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 11 '13

Issue Reporting

Report any issues to satanhimself@circleofdescent.com. He may, or may not, get back to you in a timely manner.