There's an app for that? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Main Forum » Technology Arena
praxi
praxi Dec 6 '13
Hi all,

I finally gave in and purchased a smartypants phone with an Android-something-or-other OS. While I do feel a part of me has died a little, I have to acknowledge that there are some helpful apps and features I can use for school. Also, Boggle rocks.

What are your favorite apps? Are there any other good idea/practical ones like the flashlight app I should know about? I need to look into it a bit more but apparently there are apps that will help conserve battery time... not sure how, but again, I just discovered those exist, and it seems there are quite a few of them.

Any other tips/suggestions about the handling of said smartypants phone would be welcome as well. :)
FemaleSatan
FemaleSatan Dec 6 '13
Get a virus program for the smart phone. It's something most people miss when setting one up. AVG is a good, free one.

Fast reboot is a good task killer as well. App killers help preserve battery life.
SammieSam
SammieSam Dec 6 '13
Check out JuiceDefender it allows you to put together different settings to save battery life, for antivirus I use Avast, and for force quitting apps I have App Killer.

I know you're in nursing school, so search for a real calculator and other helper apps for school. For example, I have a great app for my chem class called Chem Helper that will calculate molar mass for me, has a conversion calculator, lists of common polyatomic ions, etc etc etc. Seriously saves me a lot of time. I also have a similar app for Trigonometry and Calculus. 

Other than that, I would recommend getting an ebook reader on there if you like to read a lot. I store most of my books on my phone, and it gives me something to do when I'm at the DMV or something. 

FemaleSatan
FemaleSatan Dec 6 '13

Quote from numen Why do you need an antivirus for a smartphone? Don't you just hold a combination of buttons to reset it and then download your settings, apps, and other stuff from the cloud in the event it gets compromised?

Prevention is a good thing. Plus, resetting your phone is exactly like resetting a computer. You lose everything and getting it back can be a bitch. For example, if you haven't saved to the cloud recently, you lose those things.

Plus, she's asking for app recommendations, so that's mine. Virus protection.
SammieSam
SammieSam Dec 6 '13
Quote from numen Why do you need an antivirus for a smartphone?  Don't you just hold a combination of buttons to reset it and then download your settings, apps, and other stuff from the cloud in the event it gets compromised?

Sure, but that's a lot more work than just downloading a free antivirus one time and never having to do anything about it again.
praxi
praxi Dec 6 '13
Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered a case/scratch protector (couldn't find one that's waterproof... but then my phone is relatively cheap) and have bookmarked a few antivirus apps to read about later.

Having another troglodyte/tech-impared moment, but I've no idea what this cloud business is in relation to my phone info/data. I was under the impression it was an app you could use that would instantly send your pictures and videos to an account somewhere on the internets. Warrants further investigation, I suppose. :)

Sammie - ever try Quizlet? It's helpful if you're into learning via repetition and have simple meanings/definitions to memorize. For the nursing-specific apps I've asked some classmates, but I'm still interested in general ones that might help with school (time management/organizational tools, calendars, reminders, etc.). I hadn't considered a calculator. Cool beans.

Issue Reporting

Report any issues to satanhimself@circleofdescent.com. He may, or may not, get back to you in a timely manner.