How would you feel? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Main Forum » Human Behavior
praxi
praxi Dec 8 '13
A few years back there were some unusual home invasions in/around my city. Someone would break into houses and leave bizarre evidence of his (her? their?) presence. My favorite involved a small snowman in the freezer (whilst all the food was left thawing in the kitchen sink). In another instance a single parent came home from work to find all the kids' Christmas presents wrapped in baby shower wrapping paper and left neatly under the tree.

Nothing was stolen and aside from what sounds like some minor structural damage, no permanent harm occurred. At each location a note was left which described the way in which the house was broken into and why it was chosen.

If you came home one day to find a snowkitty happily living in your freezer or a chicken nugget nativity scene above your fireplace, how would you respond? Anger, relief, paranoia? Would you change anything about your home defenses? Would you even make a police report, or share the experience with friends, considering nothing was taken and the situation could be potentially embarrassing?
UserX
UserX Dec 8 '13
I never knew about this?

I'd be super paranoid. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I get paranoid even with my computer. I have Windows 8, which lets you reset the whole system and start anew. Anything that goes weird with my laptop, like if it lags, or takes a while to load something up, I'll think it's a virus, and I'll reset the entire computer. I've reset my laptop - erasing everything - five times already since I bought it, which was not even a year ago. I have antivirus software, which has never told me I had a virus, but this does very little to make me feel better. I keep my important stuff in pendrives.

Shoot, if somebody broke into my house and put a snowman in my freezer, that would be the ultimate mindfuck for me. I'd seriously go nuts. I'd just move to a new city, and legally change my name so the robber can't find me.

I have a friend who is was a tweaker. I used to play practical jokes on him which is topically similar.

My friend once dated a lady 20 years older than him, some 40 year old. The lady turned out to be crazy so they broke up. She stalked him for a while, making him nervous.

And so one day - a year or so later, after he forgot about the lady - I wrote a letter pretending to be this crazy lady. In the letter I said that one day when he least expected it, I'd come and cut his throat when he sleeps and kill his dog too, unless he married me and had my babies.

So, I was hanging out with my friend with a couple other people, and when he wasn't paying attention to me, I hid my letter somewhere in his room, and on top of the letter I placed an opened pocket knife I had brought with me.

I waited for him to find my letter, but the fool never did. So I quickly made a fake email address and sent him an email telling him - pretending to be his crazy 40 year old ex - that I left him a gift in his apartment  somewhere.

My friend ransacked his place, and finally found the letter and knife. So he freaks out. He called me the same day and says to me, "You remember that crazy bitch... well she broke into my place and left me a letter." And I said, "So? What the letter say?" He says, "What do you mean so? There was a knife on it! The bitch wants to kill me and my dog! She was here! My neighbors didn't see nothing. My fucking dog didn't even bark. Stupid dog."

He was paranoid and slept with a few knives at night. I laughed my ass off for about 6 months. Then I told him it was me. He got mad at first, telling me he couldn't sleep good for month cuz he thought every noise outside his window was the crazy lady come to kill him. Today we both laugh about it.

The Forum post is edited by UserX Dec 8 '13
AnnaCzereda
AnnaCzereda Dec 8 '13
I don't know, Praxi. It seems someone had a quite peculiar sense of humour and his/her/their aim was only fucking with people and nothing else, since nothing was stolen. Perhaps, it was done by some teens. 

How would I react? I would be shocked, because it's really bizarre. Then I would probably feel some sort of a relief that nothing was missing. Perhaps, I would even be happy that I didn't lose my money. Then I would be scared and paranoid, because mindfuck usually causes some temporary paranoia. I would be thinking about it, asking myself and others questions: Who? Why? What for? For sure, I would report it to the police, thinking I have some crazy stalker trying to drive me mad. However, if I learnt I wasn't the only one and there were similar accidents in my area, then I would probably dismiss it as a good joke played by either some kids or some extremely bored person.

Yeah I agree it is a perfect way to scare someone and really it would be an excellent way to drive someone nuts, if done repetitively. Just imagine someone breaking into your house every week, every two weeks or every month and doing something like this. Probably, it would land you in a psych ward, because you wouldn't know what to make of it. 

I think I'm like too much of Freud lately...

Nith
Nith Dec 8 '13

I am a self programmed paranoid so I don't feel I would get any more paranoid. As for telling the police,,, shit no. The average person who would do something like this would like to see the effect from the act they caused so I would not react. I would wait and watch as if just passing time to see any odd behaviour from people I know while also watching the actions of others (pretty well what I do anyway).

As for the idea of being broken into, it is part of having something worth stealing, even if the thing that was stolen was just your peace of mind. Someone I would listen to once said “Locks only keep honest people out and the higher class of lock calls a higher class of thief. I once knew someone who would rate his targets on the quality of the lock.

I actually feel more restless posting and admitting to the above than I would if I was broken into.

Hatepeach
Hatepeach Dec 9 '13
Paranoia and curiosity.  Honestly, if something like that happened to me I would tend to be secretive about it.  Part of me would hope that it happened again.  More than anything else, I would want to know who and why, and that would consume me. 

SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 9 '13
What about a visit from the Cleaning Fairy?

In my 20's there was this lady in her late 40's that lived up-stairs from me and she'd break in (using the sliding glass door), move things around and leave.  I'm guessing it was her version of gas-lighting.  She had a thing for the guy I was with at the time.  It didn't take much detective work to figure out it was her.  Needless to say, I straightened her ass out. 

My initial reaction (not knowing who it was at the time) was anger.  I was irked that some asshat was walking around my house touching my shit.  I wasn't paranoid or fearful, just really fucking annoyed.  If I didn't find out who it was, I'd still be really fucking annoyed.

Thing is, I had a dog at the time.  So, whoever it was would have to be familiar to my dog or else he would have attacked.

The cleaning fairy?  That's just full of all kinds of crazy-town, it's the crazies you have to watch out for.  I keep my house immaculate but I'd notice if things had been moved around, even if only slightly.  That would make me unnerved.  Who does that?

At least the woman touching my shit had romantic motivations.  What motivates a person that just wants to clean your house? 

The Forum post is edited by SIN_JONES Dec 9 '13
praxi
praxi Dec 9 '13

Quote from AnnaCzereda It seems someone had a quite peculiar sense of humour and his/her/their aim was only fucking with people and nothing else, since nothing was stolen.
But to what end? My default thinking process when dealing with people is motivation; in this case, why did they do what they did? What are they getting out of it? I and a few others discussed this in the chat the other day, and the consensus seemed to be the individual(s) involved just wanted to mindfuck for power purposes--i.e., screw with people to gleefully revel in the knowledge that somewhere, some poor idiot is freaking out and feeling violated and paranoid, and that somehow this knowledge of another person's discomfort should warm the cockles of the invader's heart. I am not too sure about that. I wonder if the "mindfuck" aspect is more of a catalyst towards perspective and action. People are complacent in their comforts.

Quote from praxi Would you change anything about your home defenses?

I am highlighting this for anyone who wishes to comment (or re-comment). I didn't emphasize it before, but more than "feelings," it's the resulting action(s) based on those feelings I'm interested in.
praxi
praxi Dec 9 '13

Quote from SIN_JONES What about a visit from the Cleaning Fairy?

Haha, nice. Sounds like the lady was more desperate than crazy though (well, maybe a little crazy). It says she admitted to the random cleaning because she was desperate for money. It wasn't done anonymously - she left a "bill" and contact info. Motivations/intentions seem pretty clear there.
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 9 '13
Right, but even if you're desperate for money do you break into strangers homes, clean and leave a bill?
SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 9 '13
I wonder how the call to the police might go, "Yes, I need help!  A stranger was in my house and CLEANED IT, she left me a bill!  Can you send an officer to my residence at once?"

O_o  She'd sound like the crack-head.

AnnaCzereda
AnnaCzereda Dec 9 '13
Quote from praxi I and a few others discussed this in the chat the other day, and the consensus seemed to be the individual(s) involved just wanted to mindfuck for power purposes--i.e., screw with people to gleefully revel in the knowledge that somewhere, some poor idiot is freaking out and feeling violated and paranoid, and that somehow this knowledge of another person's discomfort should warm the cockles of the invader's heart.

It definitely could be the case. But, I think, if they wanted it to be successful, they would have to do it regularly. I mean...if you want someone to develop strong paranoia, to be permanently scared, to constantly wonder what's going on and to be afraid of his own shadow, then one such joke is not enough. All this creepy feeling would wear off after some time. Moreover, if you want to drive someone nuts, you have to know him quite well. Everybody has his own insecurities and fears different things. So what is frightening for someone could be exciting or amusing to another. As Numen, for example, said, he wouldn't be paranoid, just excited and curiosity would consume him.

As it happened only once to each person I think it was just a joke. As for motivation, I don't think there was some devilish aim to it. Perhaps, they just wanted to have some fun at other people's cost. Their victims would be perplexed and scared, but as I said it would wear off after some time.

AnnaCzereda
AnnaCzereda Dec 9 '13
Quote from numen Or why couldn't it be someone acting like Dan_Dread and just doing things?

I assure you Dan would be capable of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was him. ;)
Jesus
Jesus Dec 9 '13

Quote from praxi My favorite involved a small snowman in the freezer (whilst all the food was left thawing in the kitchen sink). In another instance a single parent came home from work to find all the kids' Christmas presents wrapped in baby shower wrapping paper and left neatly under the tree.
This made my day XD

At first, I would be paranoid as fuck and check to see if anything was missing. After I find nothing gone, I would laugh my ass off and probably put the snowman on my porch for all to see.

timishardcore
timishardcore Dec 9 '13
Sure Dan is capable of it, I just do not buy that Dan would put a snowman in the freezer, a horsehead in the bed....maybe, but not a snowman ;P
Enomar
Enomar Dec 9 '13
Yeah, I think that paranoia and fear is pretty normal and I would feel them as well. After that died down with the discovery of nothing being missing, I supposed I would draw up a list of suspects among my friends. If I concluded none of my friends were involved, I would definitely up my security.
Quote from praxi At each location a note was left which described the way in which the house was broken into and why it was chosen.
I have to wonder what some of these notes said.
AnnaCzereda
AnnaCzereda Dec 10 '13
Quote from Enomar
Quote from praxi At each location a note was left which described the way in which the house was broken into and why it was chosen.
I have to wonder what some of these notes said.

You know what? For some reason, it just reminded me of the white hat hackers. You break into a website and then write a report how you did it so that the owners can improve the security. And you are paid for this, you can practice your skills and, at the same time, you aren't a criminal.

So perhaps, the kids just wanted to practice their burglar skills, but they lacked the balls to actually steal something or they didn't need to steal. Perhaps, breaking into a house was a sort of an achievement for them, something to be proud of, something that gave them satisfaction. Maybe they just did it not only for the lolz and entertainment but also to prove to themselves and others how damn clever and cunning they are. This could be the reason why they wrote notes, explaining how they did it. They just wanted to show off. ;) 

SIN_JONES
SIN_JONES Dec 10 '13

Maybe they were inspired by the The Family

Issue Reporting

Report any issues to satanhimself@circleofdescent.com. He may, or may not, get back to you in a timely manner.