I Just Read... | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Main Forum » Media
XiaoGui17
XiaoGui17 May 14
I just read Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. 10/10, would recommend.

Like many, I was first introduced to Palahniuk with the film adaptation of Fight Club. My curiosity peaked when I heard various accounts of people tapping out between dry heaves during the reading of the infamous "Guts." I Googled it one day on a lark to see what all the fuss was about. I found it hilarious. I immediately though I must read more, and wondered if someone could really sustain this tight level of twisted humor throughout the length of an entire novel.

The answer is yes!

Choke is much like Fight Club. The protagonist is relate-ably pathetic and sardonically insightful. There's just the right level of absurdity mixed with gritty realism from the get-go that when things start to get really weird, it seems perfectly plausible. The most depressing shit is described in the most hilarious way, such that even having your nose rubbed in the seedy underbelly of reality somehow feels like an escape.

I don't think I've ever read someone who nails black humor quite like Palahniuk. He's got a distinctive style and he does it well.

Issue Reporting

Report any issues to satanhimself@circleofdescent.com. He may, or may not, get back to you in a timely manner.