Profound Quotes | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Main Forum » Philosophy
LeDeluge Nov 29 '13
An actor who understands how to make his performance attractive to his audience brings good fortune to the no. Then too, a spectator who understands the heart of the actor as he watches a performance is a gifted spectator. The following might be said concerning making judgments: forget the specifics of a performance and examine the whole. Then forget the performance and examine the actor. Then forget the actor and examine his inner spirit. Then, forget that spirit, and you will grasp the nature of the no. ~ Zeami

Application goes beyond theater. Seems poignant tonight.

The Forum post is edited by LeDeluge Nov 29 '13
SIN_JONES Nov 29 '13

Dan_Dread Nov 30 '13
It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential. 

Bruce Lee

BeastXeno Nov 30 '13
“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” - C. G. Jung
Azazel Nov 30 '13

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson 

The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Bruce Feirstein

AnnaCzereda Nov 30 '13
“When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, There's just something about you that pisses me off.” ~ Stephen King

For some reason it made me chuckle. 

Heliodramus Dec 1 '13
Men are moved by two levers:Fear and Self interest.   Napoleon Bonaparte
LeDeluge Dec 1 '13
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”  ~ Sun Tzu
Heliodramus Dec 2 '13
The ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination.  - VOLTAIRE
SIN_JONES Dec 2 '13
“Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.” ― Lao Tzu
UserX Dec 3 '13
"Nothing happens until someone sells something." - Harrison "Red" Motley, Chairman of Parade magazine.

Simple yet profound. Said by someone who knew what he was talking about. Red Motley took a small magazine and gave it a huge market, selling 37-40 million copies weekly.

Nothing happens until someone sells something. Like the items we buy. The inventor/owner of the item must sell his idea/item to a large retailer. For the large retailer to exist, the retailer has to sell it's image and corporation to investors. For investors to invest and inventors/owners to see value in the retailer, the retailer has to sell it's image and brand to the public (PR). For product to be sold, employees had to be sold on the idea of working for the retailer.

Politicians don't get elected unless they sell themselves to the public. Political parties grow in membership size and gain power in the political arena by selling their image, brand, ideology, and platform. War, being an extension of regime/national policy, happens when the idea/ideal of it is sold to the public. War strategies don't get adopted unless someone can sell them to the right shot callers. Power, does not come into being, unless the idea/ideal of it can be sold... to a 'market.'

Religious ideology is worthless unless someone sells them. Dating and love or relationships don't happen, unless you can sell yourself to your object of affection. Personal opinions are meaningless unless you can sell them to others. Nothing happens until someone sells something... the hard part is figuring out how to sell shit.
The Forum post is edited by UserX Dec 3 '13
Heliodramus Dec 4 '13

He who follows his lessons tastes a profound peace ,and look upon everybody as a bunch of manure.   -  Moliere
voidritual Dec 4 '13

“Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless.” 

― Paul Bowles, The Sheltering Sky

SIN_JONES Dec 19 '13
"Therefore the problem of restoring Germany’s power is not a question of how can we manufacture arms but rather a question of how we can produce that spirit which enables a people to bear arms. Once this spirit prevails among a people then it will find a thousand ways, each of which leads to the necessary armament. But a coward will not fire even a single shot when attacked though he may be armed with ten pistols. For him they are of less value than a blackthorn in the hands of a man of courage." 

- Adolph Hilter, Mein Kampf

SIN_JONES Dec 23 '13
"Similarly, his fear and mistrust of the 'female' extended not so much to fear of actual women, more like total ignorance of their sexual existence, except in his depiction of certain foul 'fishy' odours in some of his stories, where more of the truth lay. " - Stephen Sennitt, The Starry Wisdom

CanisMachina Dec 24 '13

"The hoax and the practical joke are lost art forms." - Bob Zmuda

The Forum post is edited by CanisMachina Dec 24 '13
Davidson Dec 24 '13

I'll tell you the ultimate secret of magic

Any cunt could do it ~ John Constantine

SIN_JONES Dec 27 '13
"It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions;if it were by merit your dog would go in and you would stay out. Of all the creatures ever made he (man) is the most detestable. Of the entire brood, he is the only one...that possesses malice. He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot." - Mark Twain, profound because there is much there to debate. 

Source: Mark Twain's Book of Animals

SIN_JONES Dec 27 '13
Quote from eclectic

That reminds me of this one:

"He is not a 'saint', but merely a man - only another form of animal, sometimes better, more often worse, than those who walk on all fours; and who, because of his 'divine spiritual and intellectual development', has become the most vicious animal of all!" - Anton LaVey

Do you find truth in this?
AnnaCzereda Jan 4 '14

"When I was younger, I lied all the time, because once you understand the power of lying, it’s really like magic because you transform reality for people." --Louis C.K.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4

Issue Reporting

Report any issues to He may, or may not, get back to you in a timely manner.